Find Sargam notes of Hindi English Bengali and regional songs and tunes for beginners to play them on flute, harmonium, guitar, harmonica etc.
Welcome to this is an informal yet comprehensive resource of Sargam notes of Indian, Indian Film Music and Hollywood songs and tunes, especially for beginners.
Hello Music Lover!
You love music. I guess, you play some instrument too. You wish to play your favourite songs on your instruemnts. But, you are stuck. Because, you have looked around everywhere for notations of the music that you want to play on your instrument, but alas! little luck. As you find out that those resources are either charging money or are incomplete. But the good news is, you have landed up on Notes & Sargam website. You will be happy to find that it is a comprehensive, easy to navigate, easy to understand, and above all absolutely free resource for beginners or music lovers like you for instance, who just want to play Hindi, English, Bengali and regional songs on their instruments with the help of these easy Sargam notations.
Tips for beginners
Beginners, like, those who have started to learn Bansuri must watch these videos because they may get good insight from these self-taught musicians who share their experiences of learning music all by themselves.
- There should be equal number of Swars (notes) in both Aroh and Avroh
- Avroh should end on the Swar with which Aroh began
- The pattern must be logical, like, the gaps between notes should be alike in each set. For example…
i) Pattern: (1,2,3,4) | (2,3,4,5) …
AROH : SRGM | RGMP | GMPD | MPDN | PDNS’…
AVROH : S’NDP | NDPM | DPMG | PMGR | MGRS…
ii) Pattern: (1,3,5,7) | (2,4,6,1) …
AROH : SGPN | RMDS’ | GPNR’ | MDS’G’ | PNR’M’
AVROH : M’R’NP | G’S’DM | R’NPG | S’DMR | NPGS…
iii) Pattern: (5,7,1,2) | (6,1,3,4) …
AROH : ,P,NSR | ,DSRG | ,NRGM | SGMP…
AVROH : PMGS | MGR,N | GRS,D | RS,N,P…
iv) : Make your own
AROH : (Start with any four Notes)
AVROH : (End with the same four Notes in reverse)
Larn about Thaats
- In a layman’s language to define, a Thaat is like a category under which there could be number of Raags.
- A Thaat is a sequential set of seven out of 12 notes.
- A Thaat will always have only seven different notes – either in their shuddh (natural) form or in their vikrit (moulded) form.
- In Indian classical music, there are 32 Thaats, but following 10 Thaats are more prevalent.
- Vikrit Swars are shown below in Red colour.
- Notes written in Capitals are ‘Shuddh Swars’ and those written in Smalls are ‘Komal Swars’. # sign is for Tivr Madhyam.
- Watch this video on how to memorize these 10 Thaats easily, which is getting very popular.
S R G M P D N
S R G M# P D N
S R G M P D n
S r G M P d N
S r G M# P D N
S R g M P D n
S r G M# P d N
S R g M P d n
S r g M P d n
S r g M# P d N
Learn about Raags
Find the basic information on Indian Classical music or Hindustani Shastriya Sangeet on this website.
Enlisted below are some of the common and popular Raags which will give beginners a fair idea about how to play these Raags of Indian Classical music either instrumentally or vocally
Out of my experience
I’m a self-taught flutist. With keen interest and curiosity in music, I have learnt few things about Indian music and about Bamboo Flute on my own. Here are my self-learning experiences which might help you in some way or other…
The other day, on our Whatsapp group, we had an enlightening discussion on the question put
Real life self-learning stories
Although, music is best learnt from a Teacher. However, those who are yet to find a Guru, may get inspired from these stories of self-learning.
Books on sale
LET’S PLAY MUSIC. A beginner’s guide to learn how to play songs on Flute and other musical instruments. 60 easy to play songs. Tips and Tricks.
SARGAM FOR 50 BEST OF RD BURMAN SONGS. A unique book of Sargam notations for R D Burman superhit songs with full lyrics, RD Quotes and anecdotes.
Can't see your song here? Ask for it...
All the songs available on this website are Free for personal use. In case you have requirement for any particular song, then you may place your request for the same. The notations shall be delivered by email / WhatsApp within 72 hours at a nominal cost.